Hurricane Sandy

It's the day after in New York City and I have to give thanks for the fact that my husband and I were extremely lucky last night. We live on the Upper West Side of Manhattan on the tenth floor of a seventeen story building and we were mostly spared the rage of Hurricane Sandy. Yes, we've been stuck in our apartment since Sunday evening : the city shut down for all intents and purposes when the MTA announced it was suspending public transportation.  Residents of New York City depend on their buses and trains, since virtually no one owns a car in Manhattan or attempts to drive one during the normal course of the day. Outside our windows, the storm raged, raining constantly and sometimes heavily for hours. The winds rattled the windows and threatened to break through. Reports that Battery Park, the FDR Drive and the West Side Highway were flooded began appearing on the 24/7 news channels, NYU Medical Center lost its back-up generator and had to be evacuated with sick patients having to be carried down flights of stairs in the dark. A huge crane on a mid-town building broke lose from its support on the top of the tallest residential building yet to be completed and the adjacent streets had to cleared with residents in nearby buildings forced to vacate. We were told to expect our power to go out. Con Edison did cut power to all residents living below Fortieth Street but mercifully ours was not curtailed. Today the city is slowly trying to put itself back together. The waters are receding but the subway tunnels were apparently badly compromised. All and all, we were spared the worst of it and I'm about to begin calling friends and relatives to confirm that everyone is all right. Thanks to everyone who called, text and e-mailed us to find out how we were.

Share this Photos :

No comments:

Post a Comment

Support : Creating Website | Venus Net | Pagak City
Copyright © 2014. citoyendurable - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Together
Proudly powered by Tube Girl